Monday, March 26, 2012

Perilous Plot Problems

Down to less than 6 days and I am still struggling with the planning portion of this writing challenge adventure. For the time being I have opted to stop planning for NaPoWriMo and focus more on getting a plot ready for Script Frenzy. This is mainly due to the fact that a script really needs a plot, while for poems I can do 30 independent poems rather than an epic poetic series.

In an attempt to make the plot preparation process easier, I decided to temporarily ignore that I was preparing a script, and instead come up with ideas for a novel. The problem now is condensing an idea for a novel into a decent script form. Not to mention the fact that as I prepare outlines and plots for these stories, I find myself saying, "No, I will hold onto this plot, and make it into a proper novel down the road." Alas, I think I finally have an idea I am ready to roll with, just need to get some more outlining and character development done. Essentially, the idea is a communal society where children are raised up in large groups by women who are specially chosen to raise children. Every person is herded into a specific job at a specific age that is yet to be determined, with boys being sent to become warriors, wizards, stewards (scholars), clergymen, or laborers (farmers, builders, etc). Girls on the other hand are sent to be birthers, cleaners, cooks, or child raisers. I am imagining a girl, or even a group of girls that try to infiltrate their way into the boy's options for jobs. Not sure how I will incorporate that with the community style child raising, but that is another adventure to figure out during April.

No comments:

Post a Comment